I’ve now had my Pocket Yoga app for a month. Initially I tried to do it every morning, but work got so busy that even waking up at 5 didn’t give me enough time. So morning yoga has only been happening occasionally.
That being said, a few learnings from the mornings that I have been able to squeeze in a little down dog:
- You can still injure yourself. I used to think my injuries were the result of me not wanting to look stupid in front of the teacher and/or classmates. Not so! They can happen anywhere. So be careful.
- You can still sweat. I was skeptical, but it’s true. Just don’t cheat.
- Stretching in the morning feels incredible. I can’t emphasize this enough. It seems obvious, but somehow after years of doing serious cardio workouts before dawn and “stretching” before we started, I never fully grasped the ecstasy of it. Now, if I can’t do a 30 minute session in the morning, I do 3 minutes of sun salutations. It makes everything creak and groan and afterwards, feel amazing. Hasn’t replaced my coffee, but it’s a really wonderful way to wake up. Seriously. Try it.
- You look stupid doing it. Duh. I always look stupid doing yoga. But that’s the joy of doing it AT HOME. I did accidentally set up my yoga mat next to a mirror one time, maybe don’t do that. (Even though I think the official stance by yoga pros is you are supposed to be near a mirror so you can work on your technique. Or, in my case, “technique”.)
- It’s way better than I thought. I’ve actually gotten much more out of this than I expected. If I find myself struggling to concentrate during the day, I’ll take 10 minutes with the app. If you’re wavering on it, give it a try. It’ll only cost you $3…and your dignity, should your friend walk in on you. But it’s worth it.
photo: me perfecting my arrow in a grassy field.
did you even believe that for a second? via
One thought on “Got Some Yoga in my Pocket”
Downloading now. Done!