August 8, 2016 § Leave a comment
…and we’re back! You know how it goes. Kids come back, life gets busy, your bathroom floor is always covered in piles of toilet paper…
Time for a quick review of the Road to the Ventura Marathon:
- The week before I signed up for the marathon I had a series of really solid runs, including a 9 mile run with the stroller where I CRUSHED IT. I decided I needed to sign up for another marathon immediately to try to qualify for Boston. Because I was SO READY.
- Registered for Ventura two days later.
- The day after registering went for an easy 8 mile run and my knee blew up. Hasn’t happened in years. Had to walk the last mile.
- Decided it was because my shoes were old (they were). Got new shoes and took a few days off to let it recover for a little bit.
- It didn’t.
- After 6 weeks of going through that cycle and not seeing improvement, I contacted the race director and asked if I could downgrade to the half. He said yes.
And just like that, in the spirit of race-bailing that has dominated the past three years of my life, marathon #2 is out. Wah wah.
But we still have the half, so it’s something.