Today is my mother’s birthday. Somebody is super excited about it.
In honor of her birthday, below some sage advice that she has bestowed upon me over the course of the last 32 years that I will be passing along to my own daughter:
- Always say thank you.
- Babytalk is not attractive. Ever.
- Always wear nice underwear, in case you get hit by a car and they have to cut your clothes off in public (this has come in handy more often than I ever thought it would.)
- When things seem really terrible, take a shower. You will come out the other end feeling at the very least a little better than you did going in.
- Eat tomatoes.
- A clean house is one of the best gifts you can give someone at the end of the day.
- When you are under a lot of pressure to perform and start to feel it getting to you, remember: all you can do is your best. That’s it. So stop stressing.
Happy birthday, Mom. We love you.